cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retry after the system "gives up" on an OTA?

GoGoGadgetOwner
Skilled Driver

I apologize if this has been asked before as a general question, but a search didn't find it.

If a PowerUp fails repeatedly, enough times that the system "gives up" on that update, what happened?  How do we get it to retry eventually without a dealer?

Example: an update fails repeatedly because of 12V concerns, and the system gives up - if I throw a battery tender on and ensure the battery is topped off as a result, what can I do to tell the back end "hey, try this again"?  Is there any way?

Ohio; 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition, 2022 Lightning Platinum
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

We are a UK Community.  We have extended our support to European customers as there is much commonality in our product range across Europe.  We have welcomed our North American customers who have found and joined our community, and I know that some are strong and valued contributors to the site.  However, we are unable to provide support from Ford to North American customers as there are too many differences between our products and our markets, for which we do not have the necessary expertise. It can also cause confusion to our core European customers.

As the subject matter expert for Ford Power-Up Software Updates on the community, I've answered the question as much as I can with firm knowledge but can't give you a definitive answer for North American vehicles.  I'm really sorry about that and I would need to refer you to your local Customer Assistance Center for any further support.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Rob
Staff
Staff

Hi @GoGoGadgetOwner   We are a UK community.  I can only give you an answer for what we see here in Europe on Mustang Mach-E.  We don't have OTA compatible F-150 Lightning in Europe. I can't guarantee the answer is the same for North America and you would need to consult the local team there, usually the Customer Assistance Center.  I'll answer as it's a relevant question to EU.

Typcially, we will continue trying to deploy an update until it's successful.  Assuming the vehicle is being driven, the 12V battery state of charge normally does not affect the download of a software update and no action is required with the battery.  Provided the FordPass Connect telematics control unit is working and has a cellular connection, the download will be completed. The vehicle has plenty of time (days) of driving to complete a download and can start/stop its download as many times as needed.  A download can fail for non-battery related reasons, it does happen occassionally and is very rarely a cause of concern.  You do not need to do anything and we will retrigger the update again later.  There is no mechnism to request this.

Note: Home WiFi connection can also supplement cellular connection where available.

The power management in the vehicle will also ensure that the update can be installed.  In many cases it happens between an ignition off and ignition on cycle and is very quick.  Where it's an update that requires the vehicle to be off for a short period for installation, the vehicle takes care of power requirements and you do not need to do anything with your 12V battery.

On rare occasions, installation can fail for non-battery related reasons. Again, as above, you do not need to do anything (unless advised in the SYNC screen) and we will retrigger the update.  

Hello Rob,

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I don't believe your statement about this being a UK community exclusively is accurate based on many discussions here on the site, but it's possible I posted my question in the wrong part of the site without realizing.

I know from past experience that it's possible for an update to fail to install repeatedly to where it is "given up" on, and I know it's often 12V that is the cause (especially currently given the ongoing apparent 12V issues being reported on this site),although I don't have any visibility as a customer into that specifically (it would be nice if I did, but that's a different discussion.)

What I am asking is how to move past the "given up" state.

Ohio; 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition, 2022 Lightning Platinum

We are a UK Community.  We have extended our support to European customers as there is much commonality in our product range across Europe.  We have welcomed our North American customers who have found and joined our community, and I know that some are strong and valued contributors to the site.  However, we are unable to provide support from Ford to North American customers as there are too many differences between our products and our markets, for which we do not have the necessary expertise. It can also cause confusion to our core European customers.

As the subject matter expert for Ford Power-Up Software Updates on the community, I've answered the question as much as I can with firm knowledge but can't give you a definitive answer for North American vehicles.  I'm really sorry about that and I would need to refer you to your local Customer Assistance Center for any further support.